Keeping your home safe isn’t just about security alarms and strong locks. There are so many unseen risks with horrible consequences that will go undetected if proper systems aren’t in place.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a huge risk that over 20,000 people fall ill to each year. Thankfully, with proper education and detection, you can keep your home safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide.
What is it and What Does it Do?
Carbon monoxide (or CO) is a poisonous gas produced by fumes that contain carbon. This colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas can come from many items you have in your home including stoves, furnaces, grills, and water heaters.
CO enters your bloodstream from your lungs and attaches to molecules that carry oxygen, essentially hijacking them and booting the oxygen right out. If you breathe in too much CO, your body will lose the oxygen it needs to continue functioning.
Some symptoms to look out for are:
- Shortness of breath
- Mood changes
- Chest pain
- Rapid heartbeat
Now that we’ve startled you with the side effects and statistics, we’ll calm you down with some simple yet very effective ways to keep your home safe from CO poisoning.
Like a smoke detector can save you in a fire, a Carbon monoxide detector will alert you of high CO levels in your home. It is a crucial detector to keep well maintained and regularly checked in your home.
One of the most common causes of CO poisoning is vehicle exhaust. If you’re working on your car, try your best to do it in the open air. If that’s not possible, be sure to install a detector in your garage, keep the door open to circulate air, and turn off the car as often as you can.
As the days get colder, we tend to keep our homes shut nice and tight. These are the perfect conditions for CO to gather as there is little air circulation. Keep things moving by getting your HVAC units inspected and, if needed, cleaned.